Bookish Treasures is currently closed for review requests and is not doing any new posts at this time.

Review of What's Left Of Me

8 Feb 2014

Synopsis

Life works in mysterious ways.

Four years ago I became known as the girl with cancer.

I refuse to cry.

And I refuse to give in.

A relationship with a man is the last thing I’m looking for right now, but one night with Parker changes everything. He is persistent, and he knows what he wants. Me.

He doesn’t treat me like I’m fragile.

But he doesn’t know, and I’m not ready to tell him.

What if it changes everything?

Tragedy found me when I was seventeen.

Love found me when I was twenty-one.

My name is Aundrea McCall, and this is my journey.


Review

The ENDING! (well I mean the epilogue). I just… there are no words. This is a book that really pulls at your heart strings. The emotions you feel from Aundrea as she works to come to terms with everything going on in her life, breaks your heart at times. She really struggles as she attempts to live as normal of a life as she possibly can, while dealing with her every changing diagnosis.

Aundrea is dealing with her cancer coming back for a second time, and a move to live with her older sister Genna and her husband Jason. She feels trapped and heads out to a bar for a night out on the town with her friend Jean.  She meets a hot man and decides that a steamy one night stand is just what she need in her life.

Little does she know, the hot man that she spent the night with, happens to be her brother in law's new partner at his veterinary clinic. Enter Parker and his oh so dreamy self. He makes it clear from the beginning that he wants Aundrea in any way shape or form she will allow him.
Slowly their relationship evolves and Aundrea struggles with her own insecurities as the two grow closer. She doesn’t want him to begin looking at her differently. She doesn’t want their relationship to involve another person worrying about everything she does. Ultimately she keeps the fact that she has cancer to herself.

Aundrea has so much going for her. She cares so much for those around her, but she works to fight a disease that could kill her at any moment. I understand where he reluctance to let Parker in and learn about her diagnosis. I understand the feelings of helplessness and the struggle she feels to keep on living some sort of life.
This is an excellently developed book. You can’t help but feel like you know the characters personally. You can’t help but root for them, wanting them to overcome their struggles. You become so invested in their lives and their problems that the ending is crushing.

I didn’t bawl my eyes out throughout this book, although I could have. The story worms its way into your heart and you can’t help but love the characters.
 
Try it for yourself! Goodreads | Amazon | Amazon UK

Amanda

3 comments:

  1. Great review Amanda! I never heard about this book, but now I'm quite eager to read it. Exactly the kind of book I love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this one before, but I think I'll have to get myself a copy of it as it sounds really good. Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo this sounds really good! I saw it the other day on Amazon but didn't pass any heed! Adding to my wishlist. Great review Amanda!

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment I promise to cherish it forever :) I will also try to always reply.